This online course is designed to provide government officials in charge of surface transportation projects and programs with a fundamental understanding on how transportation projects are financed and the techniques and practices to ensure sound financial management during project delivery and beyond. The course takes a hybrid approach to professional learning blending academic theory on finance from leading business schools with practical application and management practices in the road industry. Topics to be covered include financial statements, investment appraisals, capital budgeting, financial modelling, traffic forecasting, transportation economics, construction finance, and asset management. Attendees will be given the opportunity to apply their understanding on practical exercises throughout the course. The course will be concluded with a group exercise providing a fun and rewarding experience for all attendees.
- Earn 16 Professional Development Hours
- Expert training by professionals for Professionals: access IRF’s unique curriculum and lectures developed by world-class specialists
- Accelerated learning processes: get up to speed and gain new insights in less time and with no travel constraints
- Full access to learning materials and session recordings
- Small classrooms & scheduled One-on-One sessions with instructors
- Self-paced options available
- Interactive group projects and case studies
- Receive IRF Certification
The lectures will be taught over a three-week period with live 2-hour on-line sessions held Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Upon completion of the training program, the IRF will administer an on-line knowledge test. Participants with a score of 80% of the exam will be awarded with a certificate verifying their successful completion of the course.
- Understand the theory and techniques for sound financial management in transportation project delivery and program management
- Understand how to review, interpret, and analyze financial statements
- Apply financial ratio analysis in assessing the financial health of a company or organization
- Conduct investment appraisals to support capital budgeting and investment decision making
- Understand the financial drivers of construction finance and road asset maintenance
- Review sources of transportation funding and how to achieve good value for money for investments in infrastructure programs
- National Road & Transport Agency Executives
- Highway Engineers and Managers
- Federal and State Road Safety Agencies
- Project Implementation Units
- Private Consultants & Contractors
- Infrastructure Finance Analysts and Investors
The lectures will be taught over a three-week period with live 2-hour on-line sessions held Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
Mondays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays (06:00 AM– 08:00 AM US EST)
International Road Federation
Eric Dean Cook, PE is a Senior Advisor and Lead Trainer for the International Road Federation. Since 2008, Eric has served as a trainer, speaker, moderator, facilitator and fellow colleague at numerous IRF workshops, panels, forums and trade visits. Eric is the current Chair for the IRF Committee on Alternative Finance & Procurement. He formerly served as a Member of the FIDIC Procurement Policy Sub-Committee and is a former Chair of the American Council of Engineering Companies International Committee. In practice, Eric is a registered professional civil engineer and has successfully supervised and managed over $1B in construction placement over his 30 year engineering career. He has a well-rounded stakeholder perspective having worked for such organizations as the West Virginia Department of Transportation, Louis Berger Group, Kanawha Stone Construction Company, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Eric has passed the FINRA Series 79 Investment Banking Representative Exam and holds a BS in Civil Engineering from Virginia Tech, an MBA from the University of Manchester, and a MS in Finance from Indiana University.
Windows 7 - Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), macOS Catalina (10.15), Linux, Google Chrome OS, Android OS 5 (Lollipop) - Android 9 (Pie), iOS 10 - iOS 12, Windows Phone 8+, Windows 8RT+
Google Chrome (most recent 2 versions)
Mozilla Firefox (most recent 2 versions)
Internet Explorer v11 (with Adobe Flash if running Windows 7)
Apple Safari (most recent 2 versions)
Microsoft Edge (most recent 2 versions)
1 Mbps or better (broadband recommended)
2GB of RAM (minimum), 4GB or more of RAM (recommended)
Microphone and speakers (USB headset recommended)