Mobility services are undergoing spectacular changes with the introduction and widespread use of cloud communication and connected vehicle technology. Incremental interventions on the physical and digital road network are required to allow traffic control systems to cope with mixed vehicular traffic and optimize traffic guidance functions. This workshop will present the current state of the art in responsive and fully adaptive traffic management solutions, and discuss pathways to fully integrated systems capable of supporting "smart city" programs.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Visualize the framework and principles of effective traffic management
- Understand how traffic management can enhance and improve urban & interurban highway assets
- Understand the importance and benefits of real-time traffic information
- Understand Systems Engineering Processes as they apply to key traffic management functions
- Recognize the role and importance of interoperable and scalable ITS standards
- Measure and benchmark Key Performance Indicators
- Anticipate emerging needs through presentations of “Connected Intersection” concepts
From the Chairman
As the road industry’s most trusted brand in continuing education, the IRF provides road professionals with educational opportunities that are recognized worldwide by engineering and transportation societies. IRF’s Global Training Curriculum provides technical expertise in classroom and practical settings where attendees can learn from and have direct access to seasoned professionals. Each course is designed to assist attendees in learning to correctly apply the knowledge gained and provides the most relevant, up-to date information on best practices and technological solutions.
IRF Workshops are specifically developed to meet the needs of road professionals. Whether you are a representative of a highway agency, a member of a financing institution, consultant or contractor, IRF Workshops will give you the necessary tools to deliver improvements to your organization.
As the IRF Chairman, I encourage you to make the most of these opportunities and help fulfill IRF’s vision of better roads for a better world.
H.E. Eng. Abdullah A. Al-Mogbel
Executive Vice Chairman of the IRF & Chair, IRF Committee on ITS
Dr. Bill Sowell
Dr. Sowell has been involved worldwide with Intelligent Transportation Systems and the development of ITS standards for more than 30 years. He has managed ITS-related firms, large and small, both publicly traded and privately held in the United States, United Kingdom, Latin America and Asia. He holds three Doctoral degrees and two Master’s degrees from the US. He played a key role in the early development of the Saudi ATVAM project, and the Mohd. Bin Zayed City Project in Abu Dhabi, and the adoption of the NTCIP systems open communications protocol.
Ministry of Infrastructure Development, Dubai
Address: Al Nahda Street – opposite to Al Nahda Metro Station, Al Qusais