An effective road asset management system comprises the processes, tools, data and policies necessary for the management of all the physical assets for which public authorities have a responsibility with the objective of providing the required level of service in the most cost-effective manner. As a discipline aimed at facilitating decision-making, road asset management is a powerful tool for both national and local road agencies, providing a framework for managing their networks and prioritizing further investments using a long-term life-cycle approach.
This workshop will cover the principles, concepts, components, techniques and benefits of managing road infrastructure assets. The contents will be based on international practitioner handbooks as well as the hands-on experience of the course instructors. The workshop will teach the most relevant best practices as they relate to strategic asset management, tactical & technical asset management planning and operational asset management & service delivery.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Better understand each of the aspects of Strategic, Tactical and Operational Asset Management and their related functions
- Recognize the need to further develop asset management capacity and capability for their organization, and have methods to do so
- Understand the importance of ’aligning’ asset management practices and approach to achieve organizational objectives
- Identify and develop appropriate delivery models for asset management and maintenance services that ensure optimum return on investment and excellent service delivery performance
- Understand how emerging infrastructure concerns, such as weather resilience, impact asset management functions
- Build and monitor financial plans for asset maintenance and renewal
How we’ll work together during the course:
- Structured elements for each day, with established timeframes, within a productive learning environment
- Course consists of classroom learning, collaborative group activities, individual learning opportunities, as well as nominated presentation sessions
- Informal learning settings with all attendees encouraged to contribute
- Ample opportunity to share ideas, discuss challenges and create solutions and a better way forward together
Complete the Pre-Course Survey and submit to IRF Training Centre Manager
- Make sure you represent your current levels of experience and understanding of Road Asset Management practices and processes
- Prepare and bring along details of any current (or previous) road asset management challenges you or your organisation may be facing. We will discuss these specific challenges and risks if we can during some of our Workshop sessions
From the Chairman
As the road industry’s most trusted brand in continuing education, the IRF provides road professionals with educational opportunities that are recognized worldwide by engineering and transportation societies. IRF’s Global Training Curriculum provides technical expertise in classroom and practical settings where attendees can learn from and have direct access to seasoned professionals. Each course is designed to assist attendees in learning to correctly apply the knowledge gained and provides the most relevant, up-to date information on best practices and technological solutions.
IRF Workshops are specifically developed to meet the needs of road professionals. Whether you are a representative of a highway agency, a member of a financing institution, consultant or contractor, IRF Workshops will give you the necessary tools to deliver improvements to your organization.
As the IRF Chairman, I encourage you to make the most of these opportunities and help fulfill IRF’s vision of better roads for a better world.
H.E. Eng. Abdullah A. Al-Mogbel
Essency Consulting Limited
Principal & Founder
Scott is Chartered Professional Engineer with over 25 years experience in a wide range of asset management and engineering projects. Scott has worked extensively with both public and private sector clients in Australia, United Kingdom, Europe and the Middle
East advising and implementing asset management principles and performance based contract development, delivery and review.
He is the Principal and founder of Essency Consulting Limited, an asset management and contract services company delivering tailored services to clients in the infrastructure sectors.
He is a Chartered member of Engineers Australia, a member of the Institute of Asset Management (UK) and Asset Management Council of Australia, and a qualified assessor to the ISO55000 and PAS55:2008 Asset Management standards.
Director of Transportation
Terry Bills is the Global Transportation Industry Director at ESRI, responsible for all transportation segments worldwide. He has over 25 years experience in transportation planning and policy, information technology and GIS.
Mr. Bills has been a Principal Planner for a large regional transportation planning agency, as well as the President of a GIS and transportation consulting firm during his career. He was a Doctoral Candidate at UCLA, where he was also awarded two Masters’ degrees.
President & Co-Founder
While working on autonomous vehicle sensors at Carnegie Mellon University, Dr. Christoph Mertz asked, “can the same image processing and A.I. technologies that are used to navigate autonomous vehicles be used to evaluate the conditions of the roads on which they travel? And, could we use a simple smartphone to do it?” Several years later, Dr. Mertz developed deep learning algorithms that could evaluate road images captured by a smartphone.
Identifying the potential of this transformative technology, co-founders Dr. Benjamin Schmidt, Dr. Mertz and Mark DeSantis spun out RoadBotics in 2016. Soon after, the founders recruited a team of passionate individuals to commercialize the technology and offer solutions that would help disrupt the highly subjective and expensive pavement inspection process.
Today, over 160 governments across the world use RoadBotics’ pavement assessments to fix the right roads at the right time while saving taxpayer dollars. RoadBotics is using A.I. to not only improve the world’s roads, but also all critical infrastructure that impacts people’s lives every day.
Dr. Timo Saarenketo is the CEO of Roadscanners Oy. He also works as an Adjunct Professor of traffic infrastructure diagnostics at the Tampere University of Technology. He is internationally known “Road Doctor” specialized in Non-Destructive Testing based road and bridge and other traffic infrastructure asset diagnostics and management. Over the last few years he has also been working on an analysis of the impact of new heavy trucks and future autonomous trucks on the condition of the pavement structure
Crowne Plaza Porto
Av. da Boavista 1466, 4100-114 Porto, Portugal