Our Mission: Building Partnerships.
We assist countries in progressing towards better, safer and smarter road systems.
We develop and deliver world-class knowledge resources, advocacy services, and continuing education programs, which together offer a global marketplace for best practices and industry solutions.
We serve a wide range of member organizations from both the public and private sectors of the road and transport industry. Together, we form a global network for information exchange and business development.
We invest in the next generation of transport leaders. Since 1949, the IRF has awarded educational scholarships to individuals in 119 countries to pursue careers in the road and transport industry.
Our Vision: Better Roads. Better World.
We believe that well-planned, safe, accessible and environmentally sound road networks are fundamental building blocks for human and economic development.
We are committed to increasing road and transport investments to meet the demands for safe and efficient travel and flow of goods and services to help improve the lives of people worldwide.
We engage with governments, development institutions, businesses, and academia around the world to make our vision a reality.
Our Organization: A Global Federation
The International Road Federation welcomes members from government, academia, road associations, research institutes, and private industry.
We are a global not-for-profit organization, headquartered in Washington, DC since 1948 and supported by regional offices throughout the world.
The IRF serves a network of public and private sector members in more than 70 countries by providing world-class knowledge resources, advocacy services, and continuing education programs which together offer a global marketplace for best practices and industry solutions.
The International Road Federation does not recognize any legal affiliation, or programmatic collaboration, with the IRF Geneva Programme Centre or its chapter in India.
Key IRF Milestones
- 1948: IRF is chartered in Washington DC
- 1949: First IRF Fellowships awarded
- 1952: 1st IRF World Meeting
- 1954: Establishment of the International Road Educational Foundation
- 1975: IRF begins accepting Governments as Full Members
- 1988: IRF congratulated by 40th US President Ronald Reagan
- 2001: Establishment of the Global Road Achievement Awards
- 2006: 1st IRF Latin America Regional Congress
- 2009: 1st IRF Middle East Regional Congress
- 2011: 1300th IRF Fellow enters the Fellowship Program
- 2011: 1st IRF Caribbean Regional Congress
- 2013: 17th IRF World Meeting & Exhibition in Riyadh attracts delegates from 82 countries
- 2014: Launch of the IRF Examiner
- 2014: 100th GRAA presented
- 2014: 1st IRF Africa Regional Congress
- 2014: 1st IRF Asia Regional Congress
- 2015: 1st IRF Europe & Central Asia Regional Congress
- 2016: Ended unification efforts with IRF Geneva and established IRF Global
IRF Membership Department
+1 703 535 1001
International Road Federation
500 Montgomery Street
Alexandria, VA 22314