IRF Committee on Road Safety
IRF supports the goals of the UN Decade of Action. Every day, our member organizations affect real change by designing solutions - from low-cost road markings to speed enforcement cameras – that help to protect people from death or injuries. We assist them by showcasing cost-effective programs, sharing good practices with decision-makers and training front-line personnel on diagnosing and addressing engineering weaknesses.
In order to combat the growing epidemic of road fatalities and injuries on roads around the world, IRF Members have organized as a Committee to address road safety needs around the world.
The goals of the Committee are to:
- Garner road safety expertise, including best practices and newest technologies, through technology transfer from the international community, in order to prepare and support road safety programs, policy statements and positions;
- Educate government agencies (i.e. transportation, health, etc.), road authorities, consulting organizations and other associations on the use of new design methods, proven technologies and cost-effective practices;
- Influence key decision-makers to implement successful road safety strategies/programs, as well as support road safety research;
- Identify focus areas where significant improvements in road safety and mobility can be achieved; and
- Encourage a better understanding of the safe interaction between key elements of the road system: the driver, the vehicle and the road infrastructure
- Members of the IRF Committee on Road Safety will be able to effect real change in the world. This is a great opportunity to have an attentive audience of key decision-makers who will hear the voice of the industry and listen to your counsel.
Chair: Chris Sanders, Lindsay
Roadside Safety Features
Chairman: Akram Abu-Odeh (Texas A&M Transportation Institute)
Chairman: Mr. Aiken Jiantong Ni (AEIOsoft Mobility & Road Safety Laboratory)
Co-Chairman: Mr. Philip Wijers (Sensys/Gatso)
Co-Chairman: Dr. Benjamin Colucci (University of Puerto Rico)
Work Zones and Temporary Traffic Control Safety
Co-Chairman: Pete Johnson (3M)
Co-Chairman: Dr. Ahmed Aburahmah (The City of San Diego)
Driver Behavior, Education and Training
Co-Chairman: Mr. Dino Kalivas (Emirates Driving Company)
Co-Chairman: Mr. David Wallace (Traffic Safety Guy)
Co-Chairman: Mark Bloschock (Walter P. Moore)
Co-Chairman: Tim Cox (Cox Consulting)